Monday, May 2, 2011

Stop, Think and Pray


Have you ever stopped to think how many times a day you pick up something heavy like your child, a box or the groceries.

Have you ever stopped to think how many times a day you bend over to get pick something up or reach up high for an object.

All day every day.

We take so many things for granted.  Our mobility for example, we can just jump out of bed and start to work without even giving it a second thought when there are so many people who are unable to do simple tasks for whatever reason.

Really, try it now.  Drop a pencil on the floor and then pick it up...now providing that you didn't hit your head on the desk or counter, that was really simple. Right.

You didn't even have to think about it.

Imagine that there are people right now that for them picking up a pencil off the floor is a great accomplishment.

Yesterday I spent the day very aware of it. 

My surgery is only a week away and then I will spend a good three to six weeks regaining full mobility and be limited to what I can carry and do. So therefore I have been thinking and planning how that will affect my every day life.

Wow.

It affects every minute of my day.  Getting a cup out of the cupboard or picking one of the million hot wheels up off the floor...even driving, since I drive a tank, things that I normally do without thinking will require much thought and be painful.

I started thinking of those who spend a much longer time or even a lifetime unable to appreciate simple tasks. I know that I will recover and be fine, but so many people will not.  Many people spend their days in pain, have obstacles that they must overcome and have a lifetime of hard.

So I challenge you this week.  Everytime you stoop down or reach up, everytime you lift something heavy or jump up from the couch or bed...pray.

Pray for loved ones or friends who are battling cancer.

Pray for those you know recovering from surgery or other illnesses.

Pray for those who can not walk.

Pray for those who have lost a limb and even the simplest of things are a challenge.

Pray that God would make you more aware of the people around you and give you a thankful heart for the abilities He has given you.

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. Colossians 4:2

No comments:

Post a Comment