Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Light at the End of the Tunnel

The last few months of my life have been one medical procedure after another.  While I am thankful beyond belief at Gods mercy in my life, I'm not gonna lie, it has been tiring.

But I am seeing light at the end of this tunnel.  All of my bloodwork has come back good and today I had a PET scan, so as long as those results come back good next Tuesday I will be done for three months.

While this has been tiring and not something that I want to do on a regular basis, I do have to say that it has been extremely fascinating being so involved in the medical realm. 

I have learned a lot. 

Like today for instance I had this PET scan.  My orders all day yesterday were to eat a high protein, low carb diet.  Ugh...it doesn't matter how much steak and mushrooms you eat, without some potatoes or bread you are still hungry. 

I didn't know why I had to do this, that was just what they told me.  And then today I could not eat anything until the scan which was at 11:45 this morning and then took 2 hours total...I was pretty miserable. 

Anyway, I get to the doctors and they begin injecting me with something and I asked her why I had to do the diet yesterday.

She explained to me that it allowed my cells to be depleted of sugar so that what she was injecting into me would go into the cells and they would be able to read if they were normal or not.  If my cells were full of sugar, the injected "stuff" would have gone into my muscles causing a false reading.

Fascinating.

One, that the liquid knew where to go and two, that the doctors have figured this out.

If I were smarter and not quite so old I think I would be a doctor.

Medical science is vast.  I have seen surgeons, radiologist, oncologists...pretty much every kind of ist there is and each one knows so much about so many different things.

And it is all about our body.

The body that God created...imagine how much more He knows than the doctors ever will...now that is really fascinating.

So pray that I get the all clear next week and that I do not have to do anything, at least for myself, for the next three months, and then that will just be blood work...I say myself because you never know with children, Alex had an X-ray yesterday because we thought he broke his arm on the ceiling fan (don't ask...boys).

Praise God all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment