Thursday, June 30, 2011

Reality Check


It seems like just yesterday I was twenty.

So full of energy and youth.

I am not twenty anymore...I am forty (getting VERY close to forty-one!)

Now I would say that I have embraced aging well.  I don't think about it too often and when I do I usually find myself not able to believe that I am forty.

Actually, I usually don't feel my age.  Most of the time I still feel very young and still love to do so many fun things and spend time with younger people.  Only on occasion do I feel it...usually when I have to get up from sitting on the ground really quickly and I find myself making that grunt noise that I used to cringe when my mother made, especially in front of other people...now I understand.

Ah with age comes so much wisdom!!

But yesterday I had a reality check.  I was checking out at a store and after the lady finished ringing me up and I gave her my debit card she asked me for my ID.  She looked at the picture several times and said that it did not look like me.  I explained to her that when you renew your drivers license on line they continue to use the same picture they have on file and that picture was nine years old.  They only update the expiration date and if your address has changed.

She kept looking at it and then said 'you look so young in that picture, like a teenager'. 

Now again, I am very thankful that the Lord has tamed my tongue and given me self control.  Because in my mind I was thinking 'lady, that was nine years ago...there is a HUGE difference between 31 and 40 and you have no idea what I have been through'.

All I did was smile.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30

No comments:

Post a Comment